Saturday, September 7, 2013

The cliche post about shopping for Sister Missionary clothing.

Let's face it finding clothing for your Mission can be tough. Really tough.
The guys have it easy, a few suits and a whole lot of ties, but not the girls, for us it's different.
Where can you find shoes that are, "practical, comfortable, attractive, and appropriate for the climate and condition of your mission." (Dress and Grooming Missionary Guidelines) or where to find "shoulder bags and purses that are both professional and durable: [since] backpacks are not professional," (D&G Missionary Guidelines) or even just where to find good skirts are blouses that fit your fancy as well as the Missionary Guidelines. 
Believe me I've been through it and I know that it's difficult.
But do not fear, since I have been there before I can also help you get through it(:


First a few things to note:
-Accessorize (belts, scarfs, you name it)
-Make sure skirts could work for biking--unless you know otherwise do it.
-If you're going some place hot buy "half tees", undershirts that aren't a full layer 
 (their website doesn't show much so if you want to see I suggest driving the address is: 210 E University Pkwy, Orem, UT 84058)

I got 4 of my skirts there, 3 of which were the same style just different colors. It is a wonderful place. Right now all of the girls who work there are Returned Missionaries and are extremely helpful. They have tops, cardigans, skirts, outerwear, shoes, accessories, almost anything Mission related you could think of they have it. 

Pros - RM's work there
        - There are books in a corner that have letters from Sisters who have served in most Missions (besides the ones that just opened to non-native Sisters (so if you're like me and going to Mexico, you're out of luck.)
        -They have a great selection of Sister Missionary stuff

Con -The sizing is kind of hard for different heights (example. my normal size (even the size down) fit me around the waist but since I'm taller I had to go up a size to get the right length.)

         



Yes. Target. 
Their business/more dressy section has lots of options to go with and usually there is something that you at least will want to try on. I got 4 tops there and I'm probably going to check there one more time before I get ready to leave.

Pros  - There are tons of them so you're probably close to one.

         -Quality Clothing
         -If you can't find it in the store you can probably find it online.

        Cons  - It goes through a cycle: either you love everything there                                        or nothing.
                                                  -The sizes differ from brand to brand there so no two blouses are a like.










Darling little boutique in Utah  County. (I know of ones in PG, AF, and Orem)

Pros  - They have a large selection of clothing
         - Not a very busy place so the service is good.
         - They have DARLING cardigans, lots of them.

Cons  -It's a hit or miss kind of place.
          -It's more on the expensive side.









Seriously the cutest shop I have ever seen, really check it out.
It has skirts, tops, accessories, dresses, etc.

Pros -It has the cutest clothes ever.
        -All of the clothing there is modest.
        -It's at University Mall (so it's close to me)

Cons -Again, sort of pricey.
         -Sizing is off.

Now, I checked out plenty more places for clothing, Macys, Seagull Book (tons of skirts at the one in Lindon, tons of them,) Downeast Basics, lots of places and many of them have things that would work for Missions I just didn't want to write them down but if you want to know the Pros and Cons for one of them message me(:


Shoooooooooooes:


Chandlers Walk Shoppe
My sister and I checked it out and they definitely have Sister Missionary shoes there. Plus the women who work there are very helpful. My Sister and I each bought a pair there (since there are only a few stores like that around we didn't want it to go out of business, so please buy a pair there if you can.) and then we searched the web.

Clarks Shoes

Here are some of their looks:
 this shoe here

http://www.clarksusa.com/_static/webUpload/731/31_26067136_10078_6.jpg
this one is this link

and since I was in need of closed toed sandals:
http://www.clarksusa.com/_static/webUpload/731/31_26060315_10093_6.jpg
and here they are.


Cobb Hill Shoes:

I got my shoes from here in the mail the other day and I'm in love with them the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Here are some of their looks:




Cobb Hill Eva, Almond i like it, sort of
Cobb Hill Poppy, Brownthis is the one I got and I love it.

And then we also checked out Aravon we didn't buy any from there but they have some nice styles too(:

Now, these shoes are VERY PRICEY. But, I think that if you are spending around $100 on a pair of shoes to last you 18 months you are getting a pretty good deal.

Bags and such:

So, this is something that was difficult for me since I don't know if I'm going to be biking or not, and I really didn't want a bag flopping by my side if I was biking and we aren't supposed to bring backpacks.
Lucky for me Etsy and Amazon are wonderful places. 
Go on Etsy and type in "over the shoulder bags" and browse what comes up, I didn't find anything that I thought would be large enough but you might have more luck then me.
Amazon: I found this treasure:
 

It comes in Tan, Brown, and Black and it is so nifty. It converts from a shoulder bag to a backpack. So, if you are riding a bike you can quickly make it a backpack for the ride and switch it back for every other activity. Wahoo! 
It is pretty pricey (okay more than pretty) but from the looks of the reviews it is very durable and that is something I am okay with investing my money in.

Outerwear: 

To be honest I'm picky when it comes to coats and I am in need of a Raincoat to bring to Mexico, I've found that L.L. Bean, Landsend, and Eddie Bauer all have really great style options.



Now, one day I may post about all of my outfits and how you can mix and match them (because that's what everyone else does, right?) but today is not that day. I hope that this post was at least a little helpful for you Sisters getting ready to serve. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment